|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS(from:greekfood/about.com)|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Will not you like to have a slice of Spanakopita, setting in the patio of a little greek cafe in that beautiful harbor of Mykonos? As you see I am still in my "grecian Odyssey" mood. I decided to make a Spanakopita. In doing this I am thinking of my sister in law, and best friend Noreen when we have the chance to be together we always have one or 2 cooking sessions. we enjoy cooking together. Noreen travels a lot and she has the best memories of her trip in Greece. She has greek friends and they cook for her the last time they visited her. She is experienced in genuine greek cooking. Last time she came to visit in SC she made a delicious Spanakopita for the family dinner. I hope mine will be as good as her. Spanakopita is a pie made with spinach and feta and it is very easy to make. I usually cook it in a regular pie pan but since I am going to Tricia house( my daughter) for the Super ball I will make the Spanakopita in form of little triangles. It will be easier to transport and easier to eat.
about 2 lbs of spinach
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
3 tbs of olive oil
1 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup fresh dill chopped.
1 cup of Feta cheese
1/2 of ricotta
10 sheets of Phyllo
1/2 unsalted butter
Cook the spinach in water do not over cook them. Strained in a colander
Chopped the onion and the garlic very fine. chopped the parsley.
IN a frying pan heat the olive oils and cooked the onion until translucide about 10 minutes then add the garlic cook about 5 more minutes.
In a bowl beat your eggs and then add the spinach the feta the ricotta and the onion
Add the parsley and the dill
Mix every thing and there the filling is ready.
prepare the phyllo has directed previously.
use about 10 sheets for the base of the pie, add the filling and use about 10 sheets for the top.
You may cook your pie in a regular pie pan and shape the Phyllo into it.
Here I cooked my Spanakopita in small triangles. so I could froze them individually
It is easy to divide the Phyllo in small squares, add the Filling on each squares and form little triangles.
about 10 or 15 minutes
Cook the Spanakopita triangles in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 10 or 15 minutes
this little triangles freeze very well.
It is easy to freeze them individually. Make sure if you are going to freeze them not to overcook them ,since you will have to put them in the oven again.
A nice greek salad is a very nice side dish for the spanakopita
It will be nice to experience a glass of greek wine with the spanakopita I have no experience of greek wine. I may have to change that situation. But I think, with that salty feta dish, a Sauvignon blanc
will be delicious
Phyllo can be spell Phyllo fillo and filo.