Sunday, March 25, 2012

pork roast in milk

  Last week there was a roast pork sale at Bi lo . Buy one get one free. beautiful loin roasts. I freezed one and cooked the other. This beautiful roast are very lean and can get dry when roasted I was thinking of a way to cook them , when I thought of the recipe of Mamie" Roti de porc au lait" braised slowly in milk. It was a good idea to keep the roast moist and tender. I did not have Mamie recipe but it seems very easy to reproduce. I got some help too from Anthony Bourdain's cookbook "les Halles" and from Jean Piere Coffe  a radio and television french cooking critic.( among other things)
Some recipes demand to marinate the pork in milk overnight, Mamie I know did not do that and I don't see the necessary to do it. but you could try. some recipe add carrots and I think that will be good. Carrots always bring a good taste to any thing braised. Mamie did not add carrots and I did not have any. But I had some mushrooms so I used them.

Ingredients

About 3 lbs boneless pork loin roast or tenderloin
2tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 garlic glove
1 tbsp flour
enough milk to cover the milk 2 or 3 cups.
salt and pepper
1 or 2 springs of fresh thyme
1 or 2 springs of parsley
1 bay leave

Directions

Seasoned the loin.
heat the oil in a dutch oven make sure the oil is hot and add the butter.
Brown the meat in the oil and butter about 10 minutes . make sure the loin is nice and brown on the 2 sides.
Take the meat out of the pan and let it rest while you are taking care of the vegetables.
Brown  the onions the mushrooms for 5 minutes and add the garlic, brown another 5 mns
Put the meat back in the dutch oven and all the juices collected in the plate.
Add the milk and the herbs
Cook the meat for about 45 mns.
Remove the meat and strain the cooking liquid in a pot, add the flour to thicken.
  Beat the sauce with a hand mixer or by hand and check your seasoning.

Carve the meat and spoon the sauce over and around

  1. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment