Friday, May 18, 2012

oriental salad

Quite a while ago I had a oriental salad at Applebee and I really did like it. I don't know if they still serve the same salad but I have been making my own version for a while . I am sure it is not exactly the same but it is delicious.

ORIENTAL SALAD

INGREDIENTS

2 chicken breasts
Terriyaki sauce ( I like Kikkoman )
Lettuces of your choice it is nice to use a few different one.
carrots
a few mushrooms
one mango
a few olives
a few pea pods
crispy little Chinese noodles( sold in can)
Half an onion or green onion
shredded Parmesan.

Terriyaki dressing( see recipe futher down)

Preparations

Cut the chicken in small squares put in a bowl and add enough Terriyaki keep in the refrigerator 1 or 2 hour
clean the lettuce cut in smaller pieces if necessary
Clean and grate the carrots
slice the mushrooms
peel theMango and cut in small cubes
slice the pea pods( on the bias it look prettier).
Slice the onion.


When the chicken has been marinated , Dry them in paper towel and  saute in very hot oil. you may need to saute them in small batches . Brown them on each side about 5 minutes do not over cook them.
At this time it is very hard for me not to munch on these delicious chicken tidbits
Put the vegetables in a bowl and add the meat and the parmesan

Drizzle  the dressing on the salad and toss lightly.

Top with the little chinese noodles
serve with grilled slices of bread


DRESSING

Ingredients

3 tbls oil
1 tbl sesame seed oil
1tbl rice vinegar
1tbl Terriyaki sauce
1 tsp grated ginger
1 clove   garlic
sweet and sour sauce
salt and pepper
Put all the ingredients together and make an emulsion
Keep the dressing in a cruet or jar in the refrigerator.


Notes:
_you may add different vegetables. Broccoli and or cauliflower will be good.
_when you brown the meat make sure you dry it in a paper towel so it browns well
_I did not have any little chinese noodles .I had frozen korean noodles I cook  some and brown them in oil, seasoned them with  terriyaki it worked very well.
_for this salad you need some thing sweet(Mango)  and something crisp.(chinese dried noodles)

-for the dressing  you can omit the sesame oil and replace the sweet and sour sauce by any thing sweet : brown sugar, maple syrup or Agave sweetener . 
_ I had to much chicken but  I froze the left over for later use
_ I keep the dressing in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator for other salads.

If you are not sure how to cut a Mango here is a very good explanation.
http//simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_Mango.

Bon appetit Enjoy!

La bonne cuisine et la base du veritable bonheur.
A. Escoffier
























No comments:

Post a Comment