Monday, October 15, 2012

braised short ribs.

Yeah I can now take pictures so here I am back on my blog.
Sunday afternoon I had to turn the air conditioner on and this morning I had to turn on the heat. To night I went to my great grand sons (Stephen and Jordan) soccer game and it was very cold. It is only October we may still have a few worm days but today it felt very much like winter. And we feel ready for nice comfort cold weather food. My daughter family  was at the game and they were very ready to go home and enjoyed chicken fricassee with dumplings and I was going home to the meal I cooked this afternoon "braised short ribs"
I have cooked different short ribs but this is my favorite recipe . I was inspired from a recipe from Anne Burrel which is one of my favorite chef on The food TV channel. I specially like the way she uses the vegetables in this recipe but here is the recipe.

Braised shorts ribs

ingredients
8 shorts ribs
olive oil
1 Spanish onion or leak
2 ribs celery
2 carrots
11/2cup tomato paste
2 or 3 cups win
2 cups water or chicken stock
1 bunch of fresh time
2 bay leaves

Instructions
In a dutch oven or any big pan brown the ribs, making sure you do not crowd them it is important that they should be nicely brown. Salt and pepper them
When they are well brown put them on side.
Prepare you vegetables clean them and chop them in big chunks
Put vegetables in food processor and puree them
 In  the same pan you browned the meat brown your vegetables till it form a crust in the bottom of the pan. mix the vegetables and scrap the bottom of the pan 2 or 3 times . The vegetables must be well browned
Add the tomatoes paste and continue browning and mixing a few minutes.
Add the wine and scrap the bottom of the pan a few time cooked for about 8 minutes
Put the ribs back in the pan and cover with chicken stock.
Add the thyme, the clove of garlic and the bay leave.
Check for salt and pepper.
put in the oven a 375F and cook 3 hours after the ribs are ready (they should fall apart ) I like to strain the sauce and serve the ribs on mashed potatoes  . The gravy is delicious. Add a green vegetable or a salad . This is a delicious fall and winter meal.


There is a problem with my program and I can  not get rid of this last picture I am working on it

No comments:

Post a Comment