Monday, January 7, 2013

fish pie

When I was 18 I spend a whole year in England ! I was "au pair" in a small village called Luddesdown in Kent.  It was a very interesting and rewarding year spend with the most interesting and nicer people.
I was used to the delicious  food of  mamie( my step mother) and I thought at the time that the English food in general was rather nasty. I remember the peas enormous and bright green, and very  hard and in one restaurant the peas dyed my mash potatoes green Yuke.".  Happely things have change in England and the food in some restaurant is excellent!
I was lucky to be in a family were the mother was a good cook. I love the English "kidney pie" the Sunday lamb ( no mint sauce please) the bangers and mash and the Sunday roast beef with Yorkshire pudding.
I have made fish pie before but I was not very please with it . I made it with Tilapia and the filets were to small and not flaky enough.
two weeks ago I went to Cosco and find some frozen fillets of Cod perfect for me because they are individually wrap.
I decided to try my fish pie with the Cod it turned out just delicious. It  tasted . just like MRS Gilbert fish pie.


Fish pie

Ingredients

2 large Cod fillets
4 large potatoes
1/2 onions
parsley
milk ( enough to cover the fish)
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
about 3 tablespoons of heavy cream.

Preparations


mash potatoes

Peel the potatoes and make mash potatoes as you usually make.

The fish    ( sorry not a very good pic)


If using frozen fish thaw it completely
put the milk in a pan add salt pepper and a pinch of nutmeg
add the fillet to the milk and poach the fish in the milk.
the milk must slowly simmer
poach the fish about 5 to 10 minutes
when the fillets are ready drain the liquid and reserve for the white sauce.
hold the fillets on the side.

The white sauce

chopped the onion and parsley very fine
brown in a pan in the butter till the onions are golden and translucent
 add the flour and stir till the flour is lightly golden  about 5 to 8 minutes
add the poaching liquid
continue mixing till the sauce is thick about 10 minutes ( add some more milk if needed)
flake the Cod in the white sauce'
add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream.



putting the dish together

put the fish in the bottom of a dish that goes in the oven
Spread the mash potatoes over the fish
you may add a little butter on the top
Put in the oven at 350 F
cook about 20 minutes


miam miam.. a table . Bon appetite

Notes
_I used 2% milk so I add a little heavy cream at the end
_I think leeks will be better than onions but I did not have any at that time.
_You call add a little of Parmigian on the top I don't .
_while doing some research on my fish pie I found a very strange pie recipe call " the stargazer pie"
I thought I will share with you



Appetizing is not it? but I assure you it has nothing to do with my fish pie!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazy_pie

No comments:

Post a Comment