Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Maque Choux

I am always interested with New Orleans food it has adopted very old French dish and  adapted them to use the produce they have . French words for dishes and food are used : Andouille, etouffee, Maque choux, beignets and they have their very special food like Jimbalaya,Poor boy and Tasso.
I always wanted to try to make some "Maque Choux " and I had quite a few corn cobs in my refrigerator so I thought it was the perfect time to try. I checked different recipes the one I really like the best were one from Emeril Lagasse and one from" Nola New Orleans recipes" Nola has a very nice blog called " Nola cuisine"
Maque Choux is usually a side dish with no meat but sometimes bacon or Tasso.
I wanted to make my Maque Choux a full meal so I added some" sauté" chicken pieces
With the help of Lagasse and Nola I made a delicious Make choux with a few changes, so I could use what I had underhand and what I like.
Here is my recipe

Ingredients

Chicken cut in small pieces ( about 1 cup)
2 tbs butter
2 cups fresh  corn( keep the cobs)
1/2 a cup onion
1/4 cup chopped pepper
1tbs chopped jalapeno
1/2 tsp Paprika
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1tsp fresh Thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne or a few drops hot sauce of your choice ( mine is Sriracha hot sauce)
1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions

melt the butter in a pan
add the chopped pepper and the onion
brown till soft


add the corn , the  jalapeno, the thyme
when the corn is cooked scrape the cob in the pan to get all the milk
add the cream and a few drop of hot sauce.


serve with a few chopped green onion sprinkle on the top.

Miam miam ,a table, bon appetit.

Note:
This recipe is for 2 portions but is easy to increase for more portions.
Another time I made Maque Choux I did not have heavy cream . I made a cream with a little milk and goat cheese. not exactly  tradition but a delicious twist to the recipe.
I have made the recipe with left over pork too . delish.
printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment