Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sweet potatoes bisque

.
I have not posted anything for quite a while . The holidays time were very busy and I had a lot of other projects.
Now I am very excited to be back
.
We just went through a period of unusual cold in SC." The Polar Vortex" came for a visit and it was brutal. I though I had lost my almost ready to harvest cabbages and Broccoli but I think they are going to be OK. Soon I am going to have to find some good dishes for these delicious veggies.

With the cold came my wishes for some comfort food and what is better than soup.

I wanted to make a soup I have not made before and use some vegetables I usually don't use much.

I found in the" New and courier" a recipe for a "sweet potatoes bisque"
 The recipe is from chief Christian Watson at Carter's kitchen in Mount Pleasant.

So with the helpof Chief Christian I made the following soup.


ingredients



2 large sweet potatoes
1 large leak
chicken stock to cover the vegetables
1 clove of garlic
1 branch of fresh thyme
1 tablespoon cumin
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper.


Directions

prepare the vegetables:

Peel the potatoes and cut in small pieces
clean the leak and cut in small pieces
make sure you rinse the leak very well in a lot of water they can be very sandy.
Put all the ingredients in a casserole cover with chicken stock
Bring to a boil over medium heat
Turn down heat and cook slowly till potatoes are tender

Take the bay leaves and the branch of thyme out

blend the soup. I use my hand blender but you may put it in a blender or a food processor
.
You may serve the soup with croutons, creme fraiche or sour cream or may be a few chives it is up to you


Notes

Chef Christian added 1/4 of a cup of brown sugar . I did not. I think the potatoes are sweet enough.
you may want to try it
Chef Christian.added some grated ginger I choose instead to add some cumin one of my favorite spice
  you may add a spice of your own nutmeg may be good
.Instead of onion I added leeks but you know already how much I like leeks

Miam miam .A table . Bon appetite


printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment