Monday, July 14, 2014

greek soup Avgolemono

 I do like a light soup in the summer and one of my favorite is a Greek soup the avgolemeno soup. It is a chicken soup but with a very light stock and very lemony. The best I had was on meeting street one time when I was with Noreen and Steve and we ate in a Greek restaurant I am sorry I don't remember the name of the restaurant. After eating that soup on a meeting street restaurant I had to make one myself. I read a lot of different recipes and made the soup a few time and here is my favorite  and easy way to make that soup.
 this day I do not have a whole chicken I have some breast and that is what I  use . But really I prefer using a whole chicken and it make a richer delicious stock. using the breast I  had to add some extra chicken stock . here is my recipe for Avgolemeno.

Ingredients

 a large chicken or any chicken you want to use.
2 large carrots or a few small one
2 branches of leak
2 bay leaves
water or chicken stock
1/2 cup of rice
!/2 cup of lemon juice
2 beaten eggs


Instructions
In a large pan add water , carrots, leak, bay leaves and the chicken
keep 1/2 a cup of chopped leaks and carrots for the soup
add salt and pepper
give it a boil
then cook at medium low heat for about 1 hour.


If you are using smaller pieces of chicken cook appropriately.
If you are using chicken breast add chicken broth instead of water and cook about 15 to 20 minutes
when the chicken is cook drain the broth and keep in the refrigerator. it will help you to degrease it.
chop the chicken in small pieces and keep it on the side.
In the same pan add some butter and the leak and the  carrots left over.
add 1/2 cup of rice and all the chicken stock .

bring to a boil then bring the heat down and cook till rice is ready.
add the chicken to the pan.

in a bowl beat the 2 eggs and the lemon juice.


slowly add some of the warm stock to the eggs and lemon juice.
add the eggs mixture to the pan.

et voila . bon appetite.

Notes
this soup can be eaten cold or hot and make a very nice lunch with a sandwich .
I had mine with a fish taco.
I made the same soup with Tilapia , I poached the fish in wine for about 8 minutes. It turned out to be delicious too.

printable recipe

.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment