Tuesday, October 16, 2018

chicken Pho





it is  fall in SC . beautiful morning,  even it is still hot in the afternoon. and I am starting to think about soups again.
I love all kind of soups but one of my favorite is "chicken Pho" a delicious and light Vietnamese soup. I usually make it with a large chicken or 2 small one. I have adopted the recipe so I can have individual bowls of soup when I am by myself. I freeze the stock and the cooked chicken and when I am ready all I have to do is to add the fresh vegetable and condiments.
I have done some research and tried different recipes. My favorite is the recipe of Charles Phan from "Food and Wine" so I adopted it with a few changes to fit my circumstances.
the most important part of this recipe is to get a delicious  chicken stock. What made Charles Phan ( and may be a lot of other Viet Niamese chefs) stock delicious is the addition of roasted onion and Ginger.
here is the recipe


Chicken Pho

Ingredients

2 unpeeled yellow onions
I big piece of Ginger smashed and chopped
4 quart cold water
about 3 lbs chicken bones or wings
one large chicken or 2 small one quartered
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 lb  rice noodles
2 scallions thinly sliced
a can bean sprouts
1/2 basil leaves chopped
2 limes
1 jalapenos ( or 2)
Hausin sauce for serving.

making the stock

1st step
preheat the oven to 400 degrees
put the onions and Ginger on a baking sheet
roast for about 30 minutes
till lightly brown

step 2

fill a large pan with the water
bring to a boil
add the onions and ginger
add the chicken bones
add the quartered chicken
salt and pepper
and simmer for about 30 minutes till the chicken is cooked

step 3

transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool.
remove the meat from the chicken and refrigerate .
return all the skin and the bones to the stock pot
let cook for about 2 more hours.

step 4

after 2 hours strain the chicken stock
you now have a lot of chicken stock you may freeze.

Now for your Pho soup

put the stock you need for your soup  in a pan ( for as many servings you need)
add fish sauce and the sugar. .
add some of the chicken
let reheat up and reduce for a few minutes.

cook the noodles in boiling water just a few minutes.

have your condiments and vegetables ready

put the noodles in a bowl,
laddle the broth and the chicken over the noodles

serve with the bean sprout, basil, lime wedges, Jalapeno and hoisin sauce.

notes

you could make the same soup with a bought chicken stock , but in less Charles Phan made it , it will not be so good.
this recipe is very practical for a single person because after step 4  you have a lot of chicken stock you can freeze and use for something else . same thing with the chicken.
when you have the frozen stock and the chicken you can make the Pho any night you want adding the noodles and the condiments

I have  at time added different vegetables to the Pho, like mushroom , pea pods , and finely sliced cabbages. I think sliced carrots and Bok Choy could be nice too . I hope my Vietnamese friends will approve.

end you have a lot of chicken stock and chicken you can freeze for any time you want a Pho . most of the other ingredients are in your pantry or refrigerator.


Bon appetit  Miam Miam























-printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment