Sunday, November 4, 2018

Gorton

Noreen  posted last week that she had made Gorton.. I like Gorton so this week I had to make some.
Gorton is pretty much what we call rillettes in France but Gorton has not a layer of  fluffy fat on the top like rillettes have.the recipe is easy , it takes a while to cook the meat, but do not involve a lot of preparation

Ingredients

3lbs pork . Boston Butt is fine. 
A piece of pork fat  (if the meat is not fat enough)
2  chopped onions
2 bay leaves
1 tsp nutmeg.
1 tsp clove
salt and pepper.

instructions

put the meat in a big pot
cover with water
add the other ingredients.

cook about 3 hours or till the meat completely fall apart.
let the meat cool and strain the liquid.
Do not throw the liquid away you may have to had a little bit to the Gorton)
shred the meat
 chop the meat in a food processor (  I do not over chop the meat . I want to keep the shred consistency.)
put in containers you may put a little fat on the top to make it more creamy , like for rillettes.

the Gorton can be kept in the refrigerator 4 or 5 days and ever I never froze it  before, it can be done.

I eat Gorton on  a slice of country bread, with a little mayonnaise and mustard. and I like to accompany it with cornichons.

miam miam . Bon appetit.











printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment