Tuesday, September 27, 2011

coquilles Saint Jaques

As a child Coquilles Saint Jacques was one of my favorite dish. It is delicious and I loved the way the scallops were served in their real shell making me think of the sea and vacation at the beach. At the beginning of my married life I remember I had some scallop shells now I have no idea what happen to them. I find that I could order some on line http://www.kitchenkapers.com/ but nex time I go in Target mall I will check in the kitchen store. for now I am going to cook My "Saint jaques" in ramequins not so pretty but as good.  Coquilles Saint Jacques is a old recipe that has been almost forgotten it is rich and delicious it can be use as an appetizer or for a meal accompanied with a salad and french bread. I remember Julia child cooking that dish in one of her show.
recipe
ingredients
1 cup dry wine
2 tbs shallots
1 bay leave1 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 lb mushrooms cleaned and sliced

Bay scallop
3tbs  butter
4 tbs flour
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
a squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 cup butter to cook the mushrooms.
swish cheese or parmesan for "gratine"

In a saucepan put white wine ,bay leave, tarragon,salt and pepper simmer 5 min add the scallops and simmer another 10 min. Take scallops set aside keep the cooking liquid.
In a frying pan saute the mushrooms about 10 mins
Make a white sauce wtih the butter and the flour and the reserved scallops cooking liquid. add the milk. the sauce must be  on the thick side.

add the" saute" mushrooms and the bay scallops with the white sauce add some swiss cheese or parmesan cheese. Put in ramequins or shells and cover with swiss or parmesan cheese and bread crumbs . cooked in the oven for abouy 20 mins. the dish must be served piping hot.
I found some frozen  bay scallops at BILO in the Tanner shopping center. they were BOGO so they were a good buy. Of course if you could find some fresh one it will be very  nice.  When I was in Maine the scallops were so good every time I had a chance to eat some of  this fresh scallops I did..If you use the bigger scallop you will have to cut them in some pieces that will be quite allright and the bigger scallops are usually a lot cheaper. As for me the next time BILO as a sale for the Bay scallops I will make sure  to stock up.
try this dish  you will love it.And if too night you are by yourself have one of the dish with a salad and some french bread and freeze the rest.
be happy bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment